Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Layout of new house

Some of my friends in far off Seattle area have asked to see the plans. I don't want to put much up because I paid for the architect designs and they are very custom. However, here's a general plan of the property that shows the existing buildings overall and the new configuration. Note there is a garage that faces away from the street and a sweeping driveway to get into it. Also, the plan has been very careful to preserve the over two hundred year old oak trees near the house.

Got zoning permit .. Next adventure is septic permit

Getting the zoning permit was anti-climatic because I found out that in order to even have the other building permits submitted I have to have a septic permit from the county Board of Health. No way did the building inspector explain this in the fall when I started the permitting process and asked what I would have to do. Sigh.

So I called the Gloucester County Board of Health and talked to the head guy there. I had been hoping that 2 existing systems could be upgraded. Well, they don't even have records of any systems that went in before 1970 and those between 1970 and 1990 are sparse. The upshot is to get a permit, I have to have a whole new system designed and okayed by the county and then the system built. The flow time for just the permit will be about a month.

I got some recommendations on who to contact to install the system and one of them pointed me to a firm of septic engineers who will be designing the system. My month starts now.

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

More good news

Last fall I contacted the electric company here to see if any updates to the pole and transformer would be needed when I added the new air conditioning unit. I had already upgraded the service to 200 amps and put in a whole house surge protection system.

NJ has growth and non-growth zones and I was in a non-growth zone and they wanted $1800 for a new pole and transformer as they will be needed.

Imagine my surprise this morning when I see a telephone company truck install a new pole. I called my contact at the electric company and he said he had worked it out with the telephone company to put in a new larger pole and with his supervisor that the current transformer was already overloaded and they needed to replace it anyway. So, that extra cost of $1800 has disappeared. Sometimes patience is rewarded :-)

Monday, March 9, 2009

Construction mortgage has been approved!

Now I have to get final contracts with general and heating contractor!!!

Can you tell I am excited....